We use cookies on our website to enhance the user experience. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Accept?

Layout update April 2016

April 4th, 2016

The latest update on the progress of my Rochelle Intermodal N scale layout – I talk about signals, yards and industry switching plans.

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and my Facebook page to keep updated!

Facebooktwitter

Progress update: Ballasting

August 14th, 2008

I’ve completed ballasting track 1 and 2 on the front of module 1. I have done half of track 1 on module 2, and will hopefully get more done tonight.

The photos below show the progress so far, along with a few photos of a train on the tracks and signals.

I am going to add some detail bits between the two main tracks to make it a bit dirtier…looks a bit bare at the moment.

Right, here are the latest photos:

An overview of the ballasting progress so far…

I still need to put an LED in one of the NJ International signals (the one with the black target), and I need to paint the target on the other signal (which is fully functional with an LED). I am hoping that the rumour from BLMA about their N scale modern signal bridge is true as that would work perfectly on this part of the layout…but will have to wait and see! In the meantime, I am using the NJ International signals for this section of track.

A couple of photos of a BNSF Autorack train going past the signals

An overview shot of the layout

Facebooktwitter

Track painting and weathering started…

April 17th, 2008

Finally I have the conservatory to myself again…the modules are back up and I have started work on painting & weathering the track. I have started with the yard tracks as they are firstly wooden sleeper tracks, and secondly will be mostly hidden by the concrete apron of the yard itself. I have airbrushed these tracks with Pollyscale Roof Brown, and will be painting the rails using the brilliant Rusty Rails Painter from Joe’s Model Trains – I’ll be using the ‘Brown Rust’ paint for this.

The main tracks are going to be more of a challenge as they have concrete sleepers. I am trying to work out the best paint to use to simulate concrete sleepered track…suggestions have been made to use various shades of grey…I’ll be experimenting with a spare piece of track to see what I can come up with…

One thing I do need is prototype reference photos of concrete track – I’ve found lots of photos of wood sleepers, but not many of concrete sleepers…if you have some photos in your collection please pass them my way! Ta!

In the first (and only!) photo of this update you can see I have started to install the Hayes Wheel Stops on the yard tracks. I am just test fitting them at the moment, so they aren’t glued down yet. I am using the Tomar Industries white metal Hayes Wheel Stops.

Hopefully I will get started on the concrete tracks soon – in the meantime I might get started on the styrene base for the intermodal yard apron.

Another update coming soon!

Facebooktwitter

Next »